Milestone XProtect video management software (VMS) is a Windows-based solution to manage, view, record, and archive video recordings from the IP cameras. While the storage capacity of the bundled workstation can be limited, Milestone XProtect VMS can be seamlessly integrated with the QNAP Turbo NAS which offers a cost-effective and reliable alternative for recording and archiving the video recordings.
The Turbo NAS supports standard network protocols including CIFS/SMB, iSCSI, and NFS. Users can make use of the "Storage Plug & Play" feature of the QNAP Finder utility (Windows version) to quickly create network shares and iSCSI drives in a few steps and configure the Turbo NAS as the network storage for Milestone XProtect VMS. The storage capacity of the NAS can be expanded on demand by the online RAID capacity expansion feature as the number of IP cameras installed increases. Redundant backups of the video files are also provided by real-time remote replication between the NAS servers.
The Turbo NAS firmware must be v3.6.0 or above to support Storage Plug & Play
Create network shares: http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/index.html?share_folders.htm
Create iSCSI drives: www.qnap.com/i/useng/trade_teach/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=29
- To record or archive the video recordings from the IP cameras to the Turbo NAS, first create the network shares or iSCSI drives on the NAS. Refer to: (link of the Storage Plug & Play app note) you may also create the shares via the web-based management interface of the NAS.
- Run Milestone XProtect Video Management Application. First, click "Add Hardware Device "to configure IP Camera. Then Click "Configure Video and Recording" to configure recording and archiving storage.
- Read the introduction of the wizard. Click "Next".
- Select the IP camera and click "Open Settings Dialog".
- Click "Recording and Archiving Paths". Then specify the destinations (NAS network shares or iSCSI drives) to save the recording files and archived videos. Remember to configure the "Retention time" and specify the number of days to keep the video files until they are archived.
- You may also select "Enable dynamic path selection for archives" and specify a number of drives (different shares on the same NAS or different share on different NAS) to archive the video recordings from the IP cameras so that the video recordings can be dynamically archived when a drive space is full.