Virtualization Station 1.x/2.x System Requirements
- Processor that supports Intel VT-X ( More information )
- Minimum 2 GB Memory (NAS reserves 1.5 GB Memory): TS-x51 series (Please note: If TS-x51 series want to run Virtualization Station, please install a significant amount of memory. Click here. )
Minimum 4 GB Memory (NAS reserves 2 GB Memory): TS-x70, TS-x70 Pro, TS-ECx80 Pro, TS-x70U-RP, TS-x79U-RP, TS-ECx79U-RP, TS-ECx79U-SAS-RP, SS-ECx79U-SAS-RP and TS-ECx80U-RP series
(Please note: If you want to run the Virtualization Station on the TS-x70 and TS-x70 Pro series, please contact us: http://helpdesk.qnap.com)
- Minimum 550 MB Hard disk space
- Minimum two Ethernet cables (Note: The network usage of Virtualization Station is separated from the Turbo NAS. One is for the Turbo NAS to use and the other is for virtual machines to use)
- Supported NAS series：TS-x51/TS-x51-4G, TS-x70, TS-x70 Pro, TS-x70U-RP, TS-x79U-RP, TS-ECx79U-RP, TS-ECx79U-SAS-RP, SS-ECx79U-SAS-RP, TS-ECx80 Pro and TS-ECx80U-RP, series (Please note: If you want to run the Virtualization Station on the TS-x70 and TS-x70 Pro series, please contact us: http://helpdesk.qnap.com)
Additional descriptions to configure VM's resources
- The number of concurrent running virtual machines (VMs): link
When there is not enough system memory to boot virtual machines:
- If you are running fewer than the maximum number of concurrent running VMs, please adjust the other VMs' memory allocation for booting a new VM. (Note: please shutdown a VM before adjusting the memory allocation.)
- If you have reached the number of concurrent running VMs (with Pre-installed memory) and want to run more VMs at the same time: please upgrade the memory. (Please refer to the hardware user manual for information on how to upgrade the memory.)
- If you have reached the maximum number of concurrent running VMs (and have installed the maximum amount of memory) you will need to shutdown a running VM(s) to boot a new VM.
How do I find the user manual of my Turbo NAS?
Step1: Please click the link and select your product including the number of disk bays and the model.
Step2：After selecting your NAS model, please click [Technical Document] to find the Hardware User Manual.
Additional descriptions to run VMs
Suitable applications to install in a VM:
- Need to run 24/7 but consume less hardware resources (for example: where the average CPU usage rate is around 50%)
- Applications that need routine access to data/files on the Turbo NAS
- Non-intensive graphic functions
Unsuitable applications to install in VM
- Video editing software, e.g. Adobe Premiere Elements, CyberLink PowerDirector
- Computer games or other graphically-intensive software
If you need to perform a resource-intensive function on your Turbo NAS, you need to suspend the VMs first to release allocated memory. These functions include:
- Adding a large volume
- Expanding RAID capacity
- Migrating RAID disk data
- Checking the file system
- When switching off the Turbo NAS, the running VMs will be suspended. The time of suspending VMs depends on the size of allocated memory of the VM. (Please note: After switching on the Turbo NAS, the suspended VMs will not be automatically restarted unless you enable "Auto Start". To enable this option, please click [Advanced] on the VM information page and click [Auto Start].)
If you experience poor performance in a VM, consider stopping or shutting down other running Apps.
How to shutdown other running Apps?
Step 1：Log into QTS and click [App Center].
Step 2：Choose an App and click [ON] to shutdown App, using Video Station as an example.
- Running multiple VMs may cause a shortage of system resources. During this time do not install or run additional Apps. (This may lead to the Turbo NAS shutting down some VMs to reclaim resources for ensuring normal system operations.)
The following Apps can require significant system resources:
- Video Station
- Surveillance Station
- Download Station
- HD station
- Backup Station
- Plex Media Server
- Other third-party Apps executed through JRE
Release date: 2014-05-19
Was it helpful?
80% of people think it helps.