Plex Media Server is the back-end media server component of Plex. Plex Media Server is used to host the content and plugins that are then streamed to Plex Media Center and Plex mobile app clients, either on the same machine, the same local area network or over the Internet. Plex Media Server can be configured to index content in any directory on the machine -hosting it, as well as automatically acquiring iTunes and iPhoto content. Content may be transcoded by the server before it is streamed in order to reduce bandwidth requirements or for compatibility with the device being streamed to. Plex Media Server allows extensibility through the addition of plug-ins. Many of these plug-ins are available through the built-in Plex Online digital distribution service. The library organizer gives you the best browsing and watching experience through different platforms.
In order to play videos through Plex Media Server by QPKG, there are three simple steps:
- Install Plex Media Server from the QNAP “App Center”.
- Setup the Plex Media Server through the management page.
- Stream it from your 3rd party media player (e.g. Roku, a smart TV or Google TV).
Step 1: Install Plex Media Server from the QNAP "App Center"
- Enter the App Center in the QTS Desktop Administration. Search "Plex" in the search field, the apps information will be shown on the right side.
- Click "Add to QTS" to begin the installing process.
- After a few minutes*, the installing progress should be complete. The Plex Media Server will now be installed and enabled. *Installation times depend on the bandwidth of the system.
- Click "Launch", the link will lead you into the control GUI of Plex Media Server and show a statement of "End User License Agreement". Click "Agree", if you agree the agreement.
Step 2: Setup the Plex Media Server through the management page.
- Enter the Plex Media Server. Your library will be empty if you are using it for the first time.
Click "Add a section" to configure your media folders on the Turbo NAS.
- If you have more than two Plex Media Servers, you will have to choose one of them.
- Choose the type of media that you would like to access. Plex will download the information for your media based on the media type. Choose from Movies, TV Shows, Music, Photos, or Home Movies.
- Enter the file name and choose the path for your media.
- After setup, the system will need time to search the media file information from websites such as the TVDV, IMDB, and etc. Search time will be based on how many search options that appears in the system. Once the search is complete, there will be a comprehensive list on the screen.The files that appear can be watched on your smart TV via web browsers, through 3rd party Plex client such as Roku or through mobile apps.
Step 3: Stream it from your 3rd party media player (e.g. Roku, a smart TV or Google TV).
Plex on Samsung Smart TV:
- Plex Media Server is available on x86-based QNAP Turbo NAS.
- Plex Media Server is availableon Marvell ARM based QNAP Turbo NAS, but the application is unofficial and may run differently.